Monday, March 21, 2011

Taco Pizza

 

Pizza is a funny thing.  It's so fun (or at least it was as a kid, now it's mostly convenient) to get a pizza delivered to your door.  It's a family event to go to the pizza place and order your own creation.  But homemade pizza is just so satisfying.  Even so, I often find myself ordering pizza as often as I make it at home.  I love taco pizzas.  It's such a weird combination that actually works.  But I'm never completely convinced.  So I decided that it was high time I made my own taco pizza, and the results were amazing.  The biggest difference is that I used guacamole as a base.  It made all the difference in the world.  I also chose to cook the lettuce with the pizza rather than put it on after, which I liked a lot, because for me, lettuce tends to take away from other flavors.  Please give this a go - I really think it will become a pizza night favorite.

For more pizza night fun, check out these posts!

Taco Pizza
1 recipe pizza dough
Cheese (we used a mix of cheddar and pepper jack)
Black olives, sliced
Shredded lettuce
Tomatoes, diced
Cilantro
Ground turkey meat, cooked and seasoned with taco seasoning

Heat a pizza stone in an oven heated to 400.  Spread the pizza dough into a round and place on a pizza peel generously covered in cornmeal.  Top with guacamole.  Sprinkle half of the cheese on top.  Top with the rest of the ingredients, and then top with the remaining cheese.  Quickly slide it onto the pizza stone and cook for 9 to 11 minutes.  Remove from the oven, let cool, and cut into slices.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Blair said...

That looks great!

John and Rachel Erickson said...

Mmm, John randomly told me yesterday that he wanted to make a taco pizza. I've never even heard of one before. We will have to give this a try. If only avocados weren't so expensive.

Related Posts with Thumbnails