Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guacamole, My Way

I didn't always love avocados.  It was one of those foods that I had to "grow into".  Thanks first to my college roommate Rachel, and then to my husband, I have grown to love avocados over the last 5 years.  And in that time, I have learned that not all guacamoles are created equal.  It seems like thousands of recipes for guacamole exist.  Every time I taste some, it is completely different than the last one.  Some are smooth, others chunky.  Some are pretty much only avocado, while others are salty or spicy.  Therefore, I think all people need to experiment and find what works for them.  This one is perfectly seasoned without overpowering the delicious taste of the avocado itself.  Try it - it might become your guacamole!

Guacamole

3 large, ripe avocados
1 large garlic clove, smashed and minced
Juice of 1 lime
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 Roma tomato, chopped

Put the flesh of the avocados into a large bowl.  Put next 5 ingredients (through cumin) into bowl; mash with a potato masher until it reaches desired consistency.  Put chopped tomatoes in the bowl and stir in with a spoon.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Blair said...

My biggest problem when I make guac is I always bruise the avocados. How did you avoid it?

John and Rachel Erickson said...

Yes! Got you addicted! I want to make this but I'll have to wait until we go back to CA where avacados are cheap-cheap. And note to fellow cooks-don't use a knife to get the seed out! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails