Monday, July 26, 2010

Classic Bruschetta, First Trial

When I saw the movie Julie and Julia, my reaction to the food was mixed.  Some of the items made me feel a bit queasy, and I don't think I would touch them with a 10 foot pole.  On the other hand, the other half of the recipes in the movie made me so hungry and I was just craving them for the longest time.  One of those is the bruschetta that Amy Adams makes at the very beginning of the movie.  Oh. My. Gosh.  I just about died when I saw that bread going in the oil and getting crispy and brown.  So I took it in my own hands to figure out how to make this delectable dinner.  I served this to my husband along with plain pieces of French bread that we dipped in a garlic dipping sauce and butter and honey.  It was delectable.  I say first trial because this one wasn't 100% perfect.  There's not quite enough basil, and the bread, although delicious, wasn't exactly what I had imagined.  I think the skinny baguette that I used wasn't wuite what I had in mind for a dinner of bruschetta, but it would be perfect for an appetizer.  This meal could not be easier, more delicious, or more satisfying.

Classic Bruschetta

4 tomatoes, chopped in large chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 cup basil, torn into small pieces (I would definitely add more next time - at least 1/4 cup)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for frying
Baguette, sliced into 1 inch pieces

Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl.  Let marinate in the refrigerator all day.  (I made it that morning after breakfast.)
Put a medium pan over medium-high heat.  Pour enough olive oil in the pan to cover the bottom.  Once it is hot, using tongs and working in batches, put the bread in the oil.  Fry until golden brown and crispy, which will take a few minutes.  Flip the pieces over and let fry until golden and crispy on the other side, an additional few minutes.  Remove from pan.  Cover the bottom of the pan with olive oil again and repeat the process with the rest of the bread.
Top the bread with the tomato mixture and enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa Pitt said...

Ohh yum, I want to try that with some fried pancetta!

Steph said...

Oh I love bruchetta especially from buca de beppo I'll have to try this out!

Brianne said...

Next time you are in Utah, go to Red Rock Brewery. It is in downtown Salt Lake City and the have the best Bruschetta in the world! Theirs has goat cheese (which I don't usually love), roasted garlic, and the obvious (bread, tomatoes, basil, oil, etc.). Seriously, so good. This looks good too (though I have a hard time finding good enough tomatoes in Utah). :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails