Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rhubarb Crumb Bars

I have finally entered the world of rhubarb.  Up until yesterday I had never even tasted it.  I have been wanting to for a long time, and I don't know what stopped me, but I finally found some at the farmer's market this past Saturday and bought it on an impulse.

Then I realized - dang, I actually have to make something out of this.  So I started searching.  I love the food blogosphere.  I pretty much immediately came up with more recipes than I could ever use, including a Martha Stewart recipe for Rhubarb Crumb Cake.  I have also never made anything by Martha Stewart, so I had two firsts yesterday.

I'm happy to say that I was successful with both!  Martha's recipe was right on, and the rhubarb was awesome.  Just the right amount of tang to offset the sweetness of the cake and the crumb.  It is delicious, and I'm having a hard time not eating the rest of it for breakfast this morning!
Rhubarb Crumb Bars
from Martha Stewart Everyday Food

Streusel:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus room temperature butter for pan
1 cup flour, plus more for pan
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cake:
1/2 lb rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter and 8-inch square baking pan.  Line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides.  Butter and flour parchment and pan, tapping out excess flour.  For streusel, whisk together butter, brown sugar and salt.  Add flour and mix with a fork until large crumbs form.  Refrigerate until ready to use.  For cake, in a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour.  In another medium bowl, whisk 3/4 cup flour, baking powder and salt.  In bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time.  With mixer on low, beat in vanilla, then flour mixture.  Spread batter in prepared pan.  Sprinkle with rhubarb and top with streusel.  Bake cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes.  Let cool completely in pan.  Using paper overhang, lift cake from pan.  Cut into 16 bars.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmmmm... that looks very good! I think we'll have to try that one!!

John and Rachel Erickson said...

really rhubarb is good? i still have my doubts but it does look tasty.

Kais said...

So, I had no idea you had started a cooking blog, but am I sure glad you did!!! I have been wanting to stuff you into my recipe box for sometime to ask you questions and get recipes from you at a moments notice...now I can (sigh)!:) I do have a question about this one recipe - where in the world did you find rhubarb? Jesse and I both love it in pies, etc. but can never find it fresh (or even canned) when we want it. Please divulge. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails