Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Smoky Chili Joes

These are what my husband describes as the best sloppy joes he's ever had.  In fact, when I made them the other day, I made them early because my husband had to travel for work that night.  He stopped at home to grab a few things before he left, and was excited to see that I had made them.  He then proceeded to wolf down two of them in 10 minutes or less.  They are truly different from any other sloppy joes I've ever had, which is good, because generally I hate them.  And although they don't use any summer produce, they really are summer fare.  Delicious.

Smoky Chili Joes
from Cooking Light, December 2006

1/2 pound extra lean ground beef (I used turkey)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I omitted this)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 chipotle chile powder (I used regular chili powder)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 15-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with green pepper and onions, undrained (I used regular)
6 hamburger buns
6 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used more)
12 pickles

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.  Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add cumin, chili powder and chipotle chili powder, and cook 30 seconds.  Stir in ketchup, beans and tomatoes; cook 6 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Spoon about 2/3 cup beef mixture over 6 bottom bun halves, and top each with 1 tablespoon cheese and 2 pickles.  Top with remaining bun halves.

3 comments:

Brianne said...

I hate sloppy joes, but I love chili so I am torn on whether to try this. I probably will. :)

Brett Lee said...

Do It!!! I almost promise that you won't regret it. This recipe has the official "Husbands Stamp of Approval"

Kelley said...

So, I thought I was going to give these a try, since I WANT to like Sloppy Joes, but just don't. Then I saw there are beans in it. That just won't work for me, so I'm going to have to sit this one out, even though they look beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails